Comisart Travel Grants: Curators Exchange Programme Started
A cooperation of ERSTE Foundation and “la caixa” Banking Foundation offers six travel grants to curators in the field of contemporary art…
A cooperation of ERSTE Foundation and “la caixa” Banking Foundation offers six travel grants to curators in the field of contemporary art for 2017. 35 curators participated in the closed call that was launched by ERSTE Foundation and “la caixa” Banking Foundation in autumn 2016. We received very good applications – eleven entries came from CEE, 24 from Spain.
Six fellows have been selected by a committee consisting of representatives from ERSTE Foundation (Christiane Erharter, Heide Wihrheim) and “la caixa” Banking Foundation (Isabel Salgado Gispert, Oscar Pina Loren), as well as the Spanish curator Marti Manen, and Walter Seidl from Kontakt Art Collection.
Between 19 and 29 January 2017 the selected curators had the opportunity to get to know the cultural context of Austria, Croatia, Hungary, and Spain. The three selected curators from Spain – Beatriz Alonso, Rosa Lleó Ortín, Sabel Gavaldon – visited art institutions and museums in Vienna, Budapest, and Zagreb (among them the exhibition “My sweet liitle lamb“). The three curators from Hungary, Romania, and Slovak Republic – Flóra Gadó, Mihaela Varzari, Radoslav Ištok – met with professionals in Barcelona, Bilbao, and Madrid.
Selected fellows from CEE:
- Flóra Gadó is an art historian and curator based in Budapest.
- Radoslav Ištok is a Slovak curator, editor and critic, based in Stockholm.
- Mihaela Varzari is a Romanian art historian and curator based in London.
Selected Fellows from Spain:
- Beatriz Alonso is an independent curator and researcher based in Madrid.
- Rosa Lleó Ortín is a curator and writer based in Barcelona. She is the founder and director of the art space “The Green Parrot”.
- Sabel Gavaldon is an independent curator and researcher from Barcelona, based in London.
The two foundations have been working together since 2015 with the aim to jointly promote social and cultural projects in the Erste Group’s home markets. These measures revolve around three initiatives established by ”la Caixa” Banking Foundation: Incorpora, a programme for integration into employment; a Leadership Training Programme for NGO Managers; and Comisart.
photo: My sweet little lamb, Apartment Softić, Zagreb 2016 © WHW, Kontakt; Damir Žižic